With more than a century in business, Hobart has earned a rock-solid reputation for high-quality equipment and comprehensive warranties. The Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder fits seamlessly into the company’s product family, offering a versatile unit that’s easy enough for beginners to use, yet powerful enough to satisfy the needs of veteran welders. And with a price tag under $1,000, it’s hard to beat the value you’ll get from this hardworking welder.
Overview of the Hobart Handler 210 MVP
The Hobart 210 MVP is a dynamic, powerful welder in a compact package. Hobart managed to pack 210 amps into a small portable case, giving users the option to transport it to various job sites and weld up to 3/8-inch mild steel with ease.
Hobart Handler 210 MVP: Specifications
- Processes: Flux Cored (FCAW), MIG (GMAW)
- Weldable metals: Steel, stainless steel, aluminum
- Input voltage: 110/115/120 V; 220/230/240 V
- Input phase: 1-Phase
- Input Hz: 60 Hz
- Current type: DC
- Rated output: 115 V, 90A @ 20%; 230V, 150A @ 30%
- Max open circuit voltage: 34 VDC
- Wire feed speed: 40 IPM – 770 IPM
- Weld output: CV
- Width: 10.625 inches
- Height: 12.375 inches
- Length: 19.5 inches
- Weight: 79 pounds
- Warranty: Three years
Included in the 210 MVP’s budget-friendly package are:
- A comfortable 10-foot H100S4-10 gun
- 10-foot work cable with clamp
- Built-in gas solenoid value and dual-gauge regulator with gas hose
- Aspool hub assembly that accommodates four- or eight-inch spools
- Sample spool of .030 in. self-shielding flux-cored wire
- 0.030 contact tips
- AQuick Select™ drive roll for 0.024 inches or 0.030/0.035 inches
- Power cord with 5-15 P (115 V, 15 A) and 6-50 P (230 V, 50 A) MVP plugs
- Welding guide and material thickness gauge
- Owner’s manual with installation, operation and maintenance guidelines
Usability of the Hobart Handler 210 MVP
The 210 MVP is the ideal welder for novices or professionals who need to complete light fabrication work. The controls are intuitive and easy to use, and posted on the interior of the unit’s door is a comprehensive guide that provides users with everything they need to know to get a perfect weld every time.
With its ability to weld 24-gauge to 3/8-inch mild steel in a single pass, the 210 MVP is an excellent choice for a variety of applications, including auto body work, household jobs, boat repairs and light construction. Infinite wire feed speed control ensures a high-quality arc with minimal spatter and clean-up.
One of the most appealing features of the 210 MVP is its compatibility with standard household outlets as well as industrial-grade power sources. The dual-option power adapter, which includes a multi-voltage plug for 115-volt and 230-volt input power, allows you to select the plug that fits your receptacles, connect it to your system and start welding.
With the 230-volt plug, users can select from seven different voltage positions and a power output ranging from 25 to 210 amps, with a duty cycle of 30% at 150 amps. The 115-volt plug includes four voltage positions and a power output range of 25 to 140 amps, with a duty cycle of 20% at 90 amps.
The 210 MVP weighs in at 79 pounds, making it a much more portable unit than the Hobart IronMan 230. Still, a wheeled cart will make it easier to transport the welder and any needed accessories.
The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder is $919. That’s roughly half the price of the Hobart IronMan 230 MIG welder, with a performance that isn’t too far behind the 230. Considering the wide array of features and robust power of the MVP, it’s not only affordable, but an excellent value as well. As with all Hobart products, the price tag also includes the company’s legendary industrial warranty, so if anything goes wrong in the first three years of ownership, Hobart will repair or replace it at no cost to you.
Features of the Hobart Handler 210 MVP
- The dual-voltage input with multi-voltage plug means you can use the welder almost anywhere.
- Seven voltage options for 230V and four for 115V, infinite wire feed speed control and enhanced magnetics give you a high level of control. As a result, you’ll enjoy excellent arc performance and better bead quality, minimizing spatter and time spent on clean-up.
- Spool gun control circuits are integrated into the unit, allowing you to plug in a spool runner for easier feeding with soft aluminum wires.
- Dual-groove drive rolls make switching between wire sizes a snap.
- Extensive safety features include self-resetting thermal overload, motor protection and a built-in contactor.
- The unit includes convenient polarity change access and storage space for spare tips.
- A handy reference chart posted on the interior of the door provides initial settings for various wires, gases, materials and thicknesses.
- The cast-aluminum drive system, sloped control panel and internal storage area ensure both durability and convenience for years of use.
Pros of the Hobart Handler 210 MVP
The Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder offers an impressive list of advantages, including:
- Relatively lightweight unit is designed for portability to job sites.
- Dual-voltage input makes the welder compatible with both home and industrial work spaces.
- Standard integrated circuitry allows you to connect a spool gun with no need for an additional control box or adapter.
- Multiple voltage settings provide fine-tuned control for high-quality performance.
Cons of the Hobart Handler 210 MVP
The unit’s disadvantages are few, especially for beginning and intermediate welders; however, advanced welders and jobs requiring greater power may be better served with the Hobart IronMan 230.
The Hobart Handler 210 MVP offers excellent versatility and power at an affordable price, and it’s backed by the company’s all-inclusive three-year warranty, making it an ideal choice for nearly all household, workshop and light industrial welding needs.